War on Charles V Declared by England and France
22 January 1528
At Burgos, the heralds of England and France declared war on the Holy Roman Empire and a trade embargo was introduced.
English Garter for King of France
25 January 1528
St George’s Chapel, Windsor, Francis was installed by proxy as a Knight of the Order of the Garter.
Fox & Gardiner
Fox and Gardiner were dispatched to the pope to bring back 'decretal commission’ to allow determination of the marital case in England.
Wolsey & Campeggio
Commission received to allow Wolsey and Campeggio to decide case in England. Catherine, however, has
right of appeal to Rome .
When Fox arrived back in England with the documents, Wolsey was not satisfied with them and demanded that Gardiner and Casale obtain the decretal commission (a commission to authorise him to make an official order that has the force of papal law).
Embargo Problems over Wolsey's War
Trade embargo: ‘unpopular with merchants and clothiers the embargo provoked a wave of unrest in March and Wolsey was compelled to seek peace by April’.
Sweating Sickness – Mary Boleyn's Husband
William Carey, courtier and favourite of the king, Gentleman of the Privy Chamber, Esquire of the Body and husband of Mary Boleyn, died of the sweating sickness, as did Henry's friend Sir William Compton.
The Obedience of a Christian Man
William Tyndale's The Obedience of a Christian Man was published this year.
James V, father of Mary I, for 6 days in 1542 , finally escaped from the care of Angus, his mother Mary Tudor’s second husband, in 1528 and assumed the reins of government himself.
Clement Issues Decretal Commission
8 June 1528
Gardiner and Casale obtain the decretal commission.
He found Henry determined to end his marriage to Catherine and reported that 'an angel descending from Heaven would be unable to convince him otherwise’.
Henry VIII Explains
8 November 1528
Bridewell. Henry explains his case at a meeting of courtiers and prominent Londoners.
Anne for Christmas
Henry VIII spends Christmas with Anne Boleyn at Greenwich.
- Table of Contents
Subscribe / Login
Royal Progress of 1535 so far Index
- Windsor to Reading Abbey Henrican Special
- Reading Abbey to Ewelme Henrican Special
- Ewelme to Abingdon Henrican Special
- Abingdon to King John's Palace Henrican Special
- King John's Palace to Winchcombe Henrican Special
- Winchcombe to Tewkesbury Henrican Special
- Gloucester, the Back Story
- Painswick and Miserden Park
- Gloucester to Leonard Stanley
- Leonard Stanley to Berkeley Castle
- Royal Progress Berkeley Castle
- Berkley Castle to Thornbury Castle
- Gloucestershire Members of Parliament
- Lincolnshire Members of Parliament
- 3 Constits Template
- PDF TEST
- Royal Progress of 1535 so far Index >