Henry VIII,the Reign
Cromwell Continued to Rise
Thomas Cromwell appointed vicar-general
Refusers of Oath Arrested
Those arrested for refusing to sign the Oath of Supremacy included John Houghton, Prior of London Charter House, and Richard Reynolds. They were hung, drawn and quartered at Tyburn.
Valor Ecclesiasticus (Church Valuation)
A survey begins of the finances of the church to assess the clerical tenths (10% tax levy).Commissioners are appointed throughout the country. Clergymen, parish priests, abbots, priors, colleges, hospitals and other clerical institutions must give sworn testimony before the commissioners regarding their income.
Bishop Fisher Executed
17 June 1535
John Fisher charged with treason and found guilty. The charge was that he denied that the king was the supreme head of the Church of England. He was sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered, but it was
commuted to beheading.
Mary & Madge Shelton Affair with Henry VIII
Margaret/Madge Shelton and Mary Shelton were thought to be sisters, one of whom might have been a mistress of Henry VIII. It is possible they were in fact just one person.
22 June. 1535
John Fisher executed on Tower Hill
1 July 1535
The trial of Sir Thomas More begins and he is found guilty under the Treason Act 1534. The following is an extract from the Act: If any person or persons, after the first day of February next coming, do maliciously wish, will or desire, by words or writing, or by craft imagine, invent, practise, or attempt any bodily harm to be done or committed to the king's most royal person, the queen's, or their heirs apparent, or to deprive them or any of them of their dignity, title, or name of their royal estates.
6 July 1535
More sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered but the King commutes it to beheading.
July to October 1535
Progress in the West Country and southern counties. Anne Boleyn investigated and exposed the fake holy
relic at Hailes Abbey.
Gardiner for France
24 October 1535
Stephen Gardiner left for France to take up his duties as ambassador
- Table of Contents
Subscribe / Login
Royal Progress of 1535 so far Index
- Windsor to Reading Abbey Henrican Special
- Reading Abbey to Ewelme Henrican Special
- Ewelme to Abingdon Henrican Special
- Abingdon to King John's Palace Henrican Special
- King John's Palace to Winchcombe Henrican Special
- Winchcombe to Tewkesbury Henrican Special
- Gloucester, the Back Story
- Painswick and Miserden Park
- Gloucester to Leonard Stanley
- Leonard Stanley to Berkeley Castle
- Royal Progress Berkeley Castle
- Berkley Castle to Thornbury Castle
- Gloucestershire Members of Parliament
- Lincolnshire Members of Parliament
- 3 Constits Template
- PDF TEST
- Royal Progress of 1535 so far Index >